Featured Post

Open House Concerns

Q -  Recently in the news there was a report about property being stolen at an Open House.  Is this a common occurrence and can anything ...


Mould - Is this a Serious Issue?

Q - I found a house that is just perfect for my family - ideal location, right size, big yard and on a quiet street.  However, there appears to be a bit of mould in the basement and in one corner of the living room.  Is this serious?

A - Yes it is.  It can highly impact health and makes the home unsafe.

Mould is a fungus that grows in damp places and releases small spores into the air.  These spores can cause wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, eye and nose irritation and symptoms of asthma.  The most vulnerable to mould are the elderly, those with compromised immune systems and small children.

Have the home tested and, if mould is found, I would suggest professional cleaning.  There are specific techniques and products used to properly clean up mould.  Sometimes dry wall has to be replaced and carpeting has to be thrown out.

If you have already made an offer subject to home inspection and mould is the result, have your agent insert a clause that the mould issue will be professionally removed.  This should be at the seller's expense.

Unless the mould is properly cleaned up, look for another home.  It isn't worth the health of your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment